Monday, August 20, 2007

ZERO TOLERANCE

Hi, there

I recently made a post on Anne’s blog - when did it get like this. My point of view is that the only way to combat crime is by Zero Tolerance.

Recently on Sky News, they broadcast a story of a 58 yr old man who was kicked to death by four 15-yr old youths, because he came out of his house and told them to stop making such a noise. He leaves his wife and child. This happened, not in SA, but in London. While some parts are definitely worse than others, the growing disregard for life and disrespect for authority is happening everywhere.

I think the only answer is for EVERYONE to take Rudi Guilianni’s approach of ZERO TOLERANCE. From our government and police (over which we can exercise very little control) to ourselves (over which we can control). To actively not allow this kind of thing to happen. What am I talking about? Well, let me give you an example. The other day hubby was going for a cycle with a friend when he noticed two young guys beating up an old guy - they were even scratching around in his underwear to find where he was hiding his money. Hubby & friend got off their bicycles to stop the situation, BUT this happened in peak hour traffic (yes, PE does have a traffic situation:-) and EVERYONE IN THEIR CARS SIMPLY LOOKED THE OTHER WAY. Now, if we want to combat crime, we can’t afford to look the other way - we need to take the situation head on. Now, let me clarify - if I had been in that traffic it would have been STUPID of me to get out of my car and get physically involved. BUT, what I could have done is put my hand on the hooter, shout out the window, called the police and made such a raucus as to attract attention to what was happening. I am NOT promoting vigilantiasm. I am saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

I want to walk on the beach and not be scared. Or stay at home when hubby goes away and not worry. I don’t want to be bothered with alarm systems, security gates and electric fencing. I want to live free and if what I need to do in order to live free is take the attitude of ZERO TOLERANCE. Then, I suppose, I would need to do that.

Good men, such as ourselves, can no longer afford to do nothing. And as I have no interest in leaving SA, then I suppose something has to be done about the situation!

I’m not sure - what are your thoughts…
Regards,
M.

No comments: