Monday, July 16, 2007

5 Tips to get Organised

I don't know about you, but I am always fighting a losing battle against disorganisation. Just as I get my desk tidied, my office sorted - the next thing I look, everything is everywhere again. Which is why I found these five tips so pertinent (well, to me, at least :-).
Regards,
M.

5 Tips to Get Organised

Many entrepreneurs get stuck with the issue of general organisation of their workspace. I’d like to suggest you try applying the following tips this week, but before I continue, I must emphasise the importance of effectiveness over neatness. Sometimes we spend too much time trying to get everything looking neat and tidy, but then struggle to find what we’re looking for when we’re looking for it! What is most important is that your work area is organised in a way that works for you – it must serve a functional, effective purpose for you.

Here are 5 tips to help you get your desk and your office more organised:
  1. Clutter is often the result of indecisiveness, or not acting on things immediately. Consciously work on becoming more decisive, and act on as many things as you can the minute they come in.
  2. Do not use your entire desk surface as an inbox. Things that you cannot act on immediately, store in allocated areas on your desk. Create trays for unpaid bills, paid bills, filing, pending or to do, etc.
  3. Don't save every piece of paper for filing. If you aren't prepared to file everything at least once a week, then even when it’s filed you will probably battle to find it. Only save what you need to file. Throw the rest away.
  4. Don't become your own worst enemy by starting many different things but not finishing any of them. Take action on one item at a time and complete it before moving onto the next.
  5. Come in early a couple of mornings a week to catch up on your admin. You can even schedule appointments with yourself to do things like filing or responding to all outstanding e-mails.

I have found these simple applications to be very helpful. Try them this week and enjoy a more organised work life.

Your Entrepreneurial Coach

Brian Walsh

Founder & CEO of Entrepreneur.co.za

No comments: